Thursday, February 18, 2010

Blah...

My apologies, today is a bit of a hodgepodge.

Winter Blues
It is mid-winter here. Thankfully today is a bit Chinook-ey and we're headed to +1 Celsius. So that sun is peeking out. But I'm in the middle of the winter doldrums.
Maybe everyone in the northern climes suffers from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) in one way or another.
Working all the time has tired me out a bit. I think I should probably take a day off soon since I haven't had a day off in...hmm how long has it been. I'll be right back after I check the calendar. Okay, it's been 24 days. And I'm working this weekend. So if I get a weekend day off next weekend, it will be 32 or 33 days since I've had a day off. Gulp. I think I need a weekend day off next weekend!
It's down to me that I've worked that much. But if I don't take a bit of time off, I'll lose dedication to my objective. Note to self - call boss at bar and ask for next Sat or Sun off.
(Addendum, I called a co-worker and pleaded with her to take my Sunday shift. She kindly took it. So I have this Sunday off! Yay!)
Belize Living
Living Off-Grid
I have been looking into living off-grid. I'm hoping that I will be attached to local electricity, sewer and water. But I want them to be auxiliary services. A 'break glass in case of emergency' sort of thing.
The initial outlay seems pricey, but from what I have researched it looks like the prices of the photovoltic panels are coming down. I only then need a septic and cistern system on top of that.
So the amount I have to save will be more. But conversely, my monthly bills will be even lower. Just food, phone, health insurance, vehicle insurance, and upkeep of vehicle, including petrol.
Where to Move?
I can't guarantee that this decision is final, but from all my research sight-unseen, I think I would like to settle in Hopkins. It's not yet totally touristy and I don't think there are tons of expats there. The Garifuna culture sounds really interesting. There are a few different cultures in Belize, all intermingled.
I know that it is much easier to find real estate once there, but I can't find much online. So I will just have to be patient and not start panicking about running out of time. Which I do.
Researching Belize
I mentioned previously that I had bought and downloaded Lan Sluder's Ebook about living in Belize. It is a good start, but it has a lot of generalisations and out of date information. The last update was 2007. It eases you in and gives good information.
In my opinion, the greatest source of information is peoples individual experiences. Look for personal blogs and websites. Remember to take what is said with a grain of salt. As everyone has a different viewpoint. Read enough of them it will give you a more complete picture. It's a bit time consuming, but reading the blog from the beginning is the best way to go.
For anyone else researching Belize and has a question to ask, I would highly recommend Belize Forums. Also the Ambergis Caye forum is supposed to be good.
So, that's the mixed bag for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment