Saturday, January 23, 2010

Belize: There is a Plan Being Formulated

Okay, I may be a dreamer, but I'm not a total idiot. I am, at the moment researching moving and living in Belize. I found a wonderful resource. His name is Lan Sluder and he is a journalist living in Belize. He operates a website called BelizeFirst and he has published many books on Belize. One of his books, "Easy Belize", is a comprehensive overview of moving and living in Belize.
I have read most of the book and it is not an ode to Belize. It is a 'warts and all' look at Belize, which I appreciate. I read it and was not scared off. But my eyes were opened.
I have also looked at some other websites, and some of them would scare some people off. Belize North recounts Rick's story of why he left Belize. It is frightening.
I think a lot of North Americans think that a developing nation is a warmer, cheaper version of their home. It's not. There are very poor people. There are other rules of morality. And no matter how long you live in that other country, you will not be a national of that country.
I have a slight advantage in this area. I was an exchange student living in the New Kingston area of Kingston, Jamaica when I was a teenager. Then I lived in inner city Manchester, England (actually Salford) for 10 years.
So, I've had limited experience of living with violence. In Jamaica I got money stolen out of my pocket on the bus, and I was at an intersection with friends when someone pulled a gun out and threatened the driver. These are just a couple of examples. All houses had metal bars on them.
In Salford, our house got broken into twice and there were burning cars in our street quite a few times during the years I lived here. Once it was just vandalised for the hell of it. We had boys knock on our door daily selling things that 'fell off the back of a lorry'. Again, just a few examples.
So probably not the same a Belize but I do have some experience living in other countries and I do not have the same view of fairness and entitlement that some people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment